[Edprof] Editing Tests Needed for Research Study

Boettger, Ryan Ryan.Boettger at unt.edu
Thu Jul 22 07:36:49 PDT 2010

Thank you all for your comments regarding my study.

None of the 30+ tests that I have collected use a multiple-choice format. Most tests expect applicants to edit a technical narrative for grammar, punctuation, spelling, style, and consistency. This often makes the evaluation a bit more subjective; however, applicants are expected to edit using style guides, such as the Chicago Manual of Style. That said, all of these collected tests are used to screen prospective technical writers and editors. Many of the online copyediting tests for publishing positions do employ a multiple choice format.

Thanks again for your comments. I hope my results will provide employers with ways for improving their tests and educators with ways for approaching how they teach error.

-Ryan

Ryan Boettger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Linguistics & Technical Communication
University of North Texas
1155 Union Circle #305298
Denton, Texas 76203

940.565.4458 (TEL)