[Edprof] Editing Tests Needed for Research Study

Boettger, Ryan Ryan.Boettger at unt.edu
Wed Jul 21 12:08:35 PDT 2010

Dear Editing Teachers and Professionals,

Do your know of any companies who use editing, punctuation, and/or grammar tests to screen its prospective employees?

I am an Assistant Professor of Technical Communication at the University of North Texas and am undertaking a research study on editing tests. I am analyzing these tests for the types and frequencies of errors and then comparing them to existing research on errors that college students make in their writing.

So far I have found 38 companies generous enough to let me see their tests but would like to further expand my data sample. This study will not disclose company names or any sections of the tests themselves--my results will just present an anonymous comparison of the types of errors. I am also happy to sign a non-disclosure agreement to further protect the integrity of the company's test.

If you know of a companies who might like to participate, would you please pass along my contact information or email me information on a contact?

Please feel free to email me at ryan.boettger at unt.edu with any questions. My study complies with the research regulations outlined by the University of North Texas' Institutional Review Board.

Thank you,

-Ryan Boettger

Ryan Boettger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Linguistics & Technical Communication
University of North Texas
1155 Union Circle #305298
Denton, Texas 76203

940.565.4458 (TEL)