[Edprof] Recommendations for content management software?

Greg Linch greglinch at gmail.com
Wed May 13 17:29:01 PDT 2009

Hi Ann,

An easy-to-use, open-source platform is WordPress, a blogging system that
can be used as a news CMS. It can be self-hosted
<http://www.wordpress.org>or used online for
free <http://www.wordpress.com>.

I would recommend against a closed system like College Publisher, which many
college news sites are moving away from and towards open-source solutions.
We moved The Miami Hurricane <http://www.themiamihurricane.com> from College
Publisher 4 to WordPress last summer after my time as editor and it has
exceeded our expectations. Also, during the past academic year, I've been
involved in a group that Adrian mentioned -- CoPress<http://www.copress.org>,
which helps set up, host and support college news sites.

Other popular open-source solutions include Drupal <http://drupal.org/>,
Joomla <http://www.joomla.org/> and Expression
Engine<http://expressionengine.com/>.

I prefer WordPress because of it's ease of use for non-techies, whereas
something like Drupal would require a Drupal developer to set up. The
interface is very intuitve and facilitates reporters posting their own
content online for review by an editor -- or directly, if they have the
proper permissions. I would also recommend:

   - Setting up a self-hosted version so you have full control over
   modifying the site and adding plugins, which help give the site better
   functionality.
   - Buying a theme, such as from WooThemes
<http://www.woothemes.com/> or Studio
   Press <http://www.studiopress.com/>.

Regards,
Greg