[Edprof] Teach copy-editing marks?

Frank Thayer fthayer at nmsu.edu
Wed Apr 22 09:43:12 PDT 2009

Hello, Jeff,

Indeed I teach copyediting symbols in beginning classes because even
though students submit stories electronically and edit stories on
screen, their graded stories and critiques are returned in hard copy.
How better to show the preference of "Smith said," to "said Smith,"
than to do pencil editing. Yes, the Dow-Jones editing test requires
familiarity with traditional editing symbols. We're going to need
these marks well into the future. Why else does the Associated Press
Stylebook still have these symbols at the back of the book? These
symbols are still very much part of the journalistic lexicon just as
10-codes are still used by the police.

Frank Thayer
New Mexico State University