[Edprof] Teach copy-editing marks?

Bill Sutley bill.sutley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 05:27:24 PDT 2009

I second Sonny's thoughts.

I also teach the wisdom of looking at copy in both digital and print formats
b/c of the sight fatigue that comes from a day/night of looking at a
flickering computer screen ... I know my city desk/copy desk experience
taught me that I can catch typos and other slips in copy that I've looked at
closely on computer screens when I've read it later in proof format. Yes, I
don't spend a lot of time with some of the more arcane copy/proofing marks
-- with the possible exception of "stet" (let it stand). -Bill Sutley