[Edprof] Teach copy-editing marks?

Jeffrey C South/AC/VCU jcsouth at vcu.edu
Tue Apr 21 18:34:09 PDT 2009

Do other j-schools teach students to use copy-editing marks? These are the
notations one would use if editing a printout -- to indicate that words
should be deleted, inserted or abbreviated or that an abbreviation or a
numeral should be spelled out.

I had been covering the copy-editing marks in my introductory newswriting
class. I oversee all of our sections of that course. An adjunct teaching
one section said the marks are passe -- that nobody uses them anymore.

What do other programs do? (Don't students need to know the copy-editing
marks to take the Dow Jones test?)

-- Jeff South

Jeff South, Associate Professor
School of Mass Communications, Virginia Commonwealth University
(804) 827-0253; Temple 1149-B