[Edprof] Style question....

Doug Fisher fisherdj at mailbox.sc.edu
Tue Oct 7 10:50:15 PDT 2008

Frank et al.

AP has gone to an all-abbreviation style in quotes. I've written about
it several times in my column and on my blog. I've double-checked it,
first with Norm and now with Darrell, who as editor-at-large is in
charge of ye olde stylebook.

I don't like it. I think it is dumb. But that is the style - Sgt. and
Sen. and Maj. Gen. in all uses. AP removed the "spell-out" mandate from
stylebooks two years ago.

Just as debatable as, in some circles, is AP's mandate of s-apostrophe
on possessives of formal names ending in "s" as opposed to s-apostrophe-s.

Doug

--
Doug Fisher, Instructor
Executive Editor, The Convergence Newsletter