[Edprof] Style question....

Frank E. Fee Jr. ffee at email.unc.edu
Tue Oct 7 10:21:09 PDT 2008

An off-the-top-of-the-head response is that in quotes the sound is
important. Nobody says "Maj. Gen."

Thus, I teach Sgt. in the body text but "sergeant" in the quote. That's
consistent with AP style the last time I looked.

In looking at several papers from Raleigh to Seattle last week, though,
I noted few newspapers that followed that rule. Thus, more often than
not it was still "Sen. Obama" and "Sen. McCain" in direct quotes.
Seemed awkward.

Dr. Frank E. Fee Jr.
Associate Professor
School of Journalism and Mass Communication
CB# 3365 Carroll Hall
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3365
919.962.0620 Fax
ffee at email.unc.edu