[Edprof] how much terminology is enough?

Charlyne Berens cberens at unlserve.unl.edu
Fri Aug 15 06:06:32 PDT 2008

Amen to everything Gene says!

But I'd add one more thing. Students need to know the difference
between an independent and dependent clause so they know why they do
or don't need that comma before "and."

Oh, and yet another thing they need to know: the difference between a
regular coordinating conjunction like "and" or "but" and conjunctive
adverbs like "however" so that student understand they can't just
substitute "however" for "but" and pretend all is well.

I agree that "When Words Collide" is an excellent text/resource for
journalism students. We use it in all our writing and reporting and
editing classes here at UNL.
Charlyne Berens

--
Charlyne Berens, Ph.D.