[Edprof] You say polysyndetic coordination; I say huh?

Gene Foreman gene.foreman at verizon.net
Thu Aug 14 07:52:04 PDT 2008

        Gerald raises a good question. I think his premise is sound:
Journalists don't need the "full complement" of grammatical terms, but they
need to be able to explain why they changed copy for grammatical reasons.
        I'm currently finishing a textbook on journalism ethics (to be
published next summer by Wiley-Blackwell), but when it's finished, I would
like to give you a more thoughtful answer. But here are some ideas for now:
        --The parts of speech.
        --Active and passive verbs.
        --The tenses of verbs, including the "perfect" tenses.
        --Verbals: infinitives, gerunds and participles.
        --Restrictive and nonrestrictive phrases and clauses.
        --Singular and plural, with all the variations.
        --Basic punctuation rules.
        --Predicate adjectives and predicate nominatives.
        It occurs to me that "When Words Collide" by the Oregon professors
is a pretty realistic resource on grammar for journalists. Instruction in
the editing course should equip the students to identify and correct the
common mistakes that writers make. For example, if a student understands
agreement in number, that student could eliminate close to half the
mechanical errors in copy he or she edits.
                   Regards, Gene

  _____