[Edprof] collaborative learning for editing

Craig Berke craigberke at cox.net
Thu Aug 30 20:34:45 PDT 2007

I can vouch that Carla's stylebook exercise really gets students
engaged. I used her idea while teaching editing as an adjunct at both
UConn and Univ. of Rhode Island within the past few years. The
students think it's kind of wacky at first, but most of them get into
it. With a class of 16 students, I pick 16 different letter tiles
from my Scrabble game, including the blank. Before explaining the
assignment, I have students draw letters from a bag. They're pretty
intrigued by this point. Then they get the assignment as Carla
explained. The blank tile is a wild card, student's choice from
unassigned letters. Here's my favorite example: One of my UConn
students picked the "among-between" entry. For his presentation, he
asked for five volunteers from the class. He positioned two of them
in one corner of the classroom, and the remaining three in another
corner. Then he raced over to the three and in his best Sesame Street
"Cookie Monster" voice, proclaimed: "AMONG!" Then he dashed over to
the other corner and stood between the pair of students, held out his
hands, and declared: "BETWEEN." He repeated the sequence and sat
down. He got an A.

Craig Berke
Director of Communications
Rhode Island Judiciary