[Edprof] collaborative learning for editing

LJThornton at aol.com LJThornton at aol.com
Thu Aug 30 09:42:02 PDT 2007

We're working on a collaborative project now (classes start early in
Arizona) where students illustrate an AP "problem" and solution in a Soundslides
format using images, text, sound, etc. Here's a forerunner to the idea:
_http://cronkitezine.asu.edu/spring2007/Soundslides/Ryan/index.html_
(http://cronkitezine.asu.edu/spring2007/Soundslides/Ryan/index.html)  (You  may have to "pause"
at the "answer" slides -- timing issues.)

In this project, which was done by one person last semester, errors in song
lyrics are demonstrated. In class, he used it as a guessing game. (As part of
a  review of an editing book, students had to create a five-minute quiz or
exercise  inspired by the book and then give it to the class.) I began teaching
Soundslides last year as a way to work with narrative cutlines, expand skill
sets and encourage visual editing.

You could have them work in teams or as individuals with a common  theme.

lj

Leslie-Jean Thornton, Ph.D.
Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication
Arizona State University

In a message dated 8/30/2007 8:55:24 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,