[Edprof] collaborative learning in editing

Glover at sptimes.com Glover at sptimes.com
Thu Aug 30 09:31:25 PDT 2007

I'm not a teacher, but I sometimes teach at Poynter. What if you started a
cool blog/photo blog (typepad or blogger would work fine) and had people
scour the local campus/area for typos and bad grammar. I'm sure there'd be
plenty of material just on menus alone. Then you could reward the person
with the most blog entries with some kind of cool thing (iTunes gift card
for $10 maybe? doesn't have to be much) Maybe you could have a contest
each week to find the FUNNIEST/WEIRDEST/MOST ERROR-RIDDLED.

And it could be something that you could update for years to come. This
could appeal to the people who like to make fun of others and who like to
post them in comments section on Web sites. Just those alone would be HUGE
fodder for grammatical mistakes. Just check out some of the ones on the
comments on our Web site.

Cheers,

Anne

Anne Glover, ame/online features
tampabay.com
St. Petersburg Times
490 First Ave. S
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
727-893-8562

"Dr. James Aucoin" <jasouthal at yahoo.com>
Sent by: edprof-bounces at editteach.org
08/30/2007 10:45 AM

edprof at editteach.org
cc

Subject
[Edprof] collaborative learning in editing

Dear editing profs:  I think most would agree that it's quite challenging
to make copyediting courses interesting to students who aren't passionate
about editing.  This is especially true during the portion of the course
that requires endless hours of practice to master grammar, punctuation and
other mechanics. Please share with the group ideas about how to make the
classes more interesting.  I'm particularly eager to hear ideas for
collaborative learning exercises.
Jim Aucoin
University of South Alabama
 Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on Yahoo!
Edprof mailing list
Edprof at editteach.org