[Edprof] collaborative learning for editing

Carla Baranauckas carlab at nytimes.com
Thu Aug 30 08:54:55 PDT 2007

I totally agree that it can be difficult to keep students engaged in editing
classes. After seeing too many people doze off while I covered things in the
AP Stylebook, I adapted an idea from a colleague at Columbia: the stylebook
"bible study." Each student in the class was assigned a letter of the
alphabet. Then each individual had to choose an entry from his or her
section and present it to the class. The student was not allowed to just
read the entry, instead he or she had to make it part of his or her soul.
They were encouraged to be creative. Some created poems to help as
reminders. The day we presented the stylebook entries every student was
fully engaged and at the very least each student was guaranteed to remember
one stylebook item.

I did a similar thing when trying to train them to sharpen their eyes for
editing. Each student had to find three errors in the paper or in a magazine
and bring them in to present to the class. You can even have the class vote
on the "best catch."

--
Please note new street address

Carla Baranauckas